Rome Burning

Meanwhile, standing near the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is your son.” Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home. John 19:25-27

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope you also were able to pick your Saint of the Year! I got Saint Mary Magdalene. I have much to fill you in on, but I will save it for another time. I do ask for prayer for my family, specifically my mom.

For now, I want to tell you that this Advent and Christmas I spent meditating on the Passion. I do this either through the Sorrowful Mysteries, or by using the 24 hours of the Passion by Luisa Piccarreta. I often find this very fruitful to help me focus on Christ instead of the storm that’s swirling around us. I always try to close my eyes and place myself in the scene while I am praying. On this particular day, which was December 31, 2021, I was meditating on the sorrowful mysteries of the Rosary. The following are the images that came to me in my prayer. As always, if the church says what I have written is wrong, the church is correct and I am wrong.

December 31, 2021 – Meditation on the 5th Sorrowful Mystery, the Crucifixion

I close my eyes in prayer and picture staring at Jesus on the cross.

At once, I feel as though I am viewing from a different vantage point, as if a camera lens zoomed out a little and I was standing behind a Priest who was at the foot of the Cross.  I knew this Priest to be representative of Saint John, but he is a modern day Priest. We’re both staring at the cross. Suddenly the cross turned into Saint Peters in Rome and it was massively on fire.  We are standing there looking at it when above it appeared in the sky the Holy Family, Jesus the Divine Child, in Mary’s arms, Joseph with an arm around Mary and another arm holding his staff.  There were a circle of angels surrounding them.

Mary looked at the Priest and handed him the Divine Child who kissed him on the forehead and then nestled in his arms against his chest.

The lens zoomed out further and I saw another modern day Priest who I knew to be representative of Saint Peter.  He had his hand on the other Priests shoulder – the way a sponsor would for a confirmandi.  He was weeping tremendously. Saint Joseph looked at this Priest and handed him his staff.   Then the image of Saint Peters on fire faded as did the Holy Family. The sky turned dark as night but stars were everywhere and they were moving fast as if a time lapse camera was sped up, it was somewhat dizzying. Stars just moving at high speed through the sky.  Then the sun appeared and I zoomed out further and there was a field of flowers with people in it and behind the two Priests were other Priests.  Everyone was acting as if they had just woken up and a joy and excitement started to spread all over people’s faces.  There were families in the field hugging one another like never before.

This is where my meditation ended. It was very intense. It felt as though we passed through a time of immense sorrow, into a time of great joy. And that there are Priests who are like the Apostles who are out there and we must pray for them.

I know many of you are suffering out there. Be not afraid. Just ask Jesus to be in the suffering with you. He isn’t asking you to be perfect, He is asking you to love in the middle of the suffering. Ask Our Lady to be the comforting balm you need. Keep your eyes on the cross and let us see where the God of the Universe takes us, trusting in His will.

Peace be with you.

About veilofveronica

I am a mother and wife as well as an RCIA and Adult Faith Formation catechist at a parish in the south. I have 3 children and a great husband.
This entry was posted in Catholic and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Rome Burning

1. monicamanne says:

Thank you for your odors 💗 I’ve tried several times to make comments but am unable to. But thank you for sharing – my older sister has Alzheimer’s too … prayers for you and your mom and family Monica Keiser

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 10:58 AM Veil of Veronica wrote:

> veilofveronica posted: ” Meanwhile, standing near the cross of Jesus were > his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary > Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved > standing beside her, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is yo” >

2. Marie says:

Thank you for sharing that gift from God.

I have been suffering in different ways and I’m seeing the fruit of my suffering in conversion of my family. It’s hard, but worth it if it saves souls and reunites families.

3. James Ignatius McAuley says:

Sue, I hope you received the icon I sent you care of your parish. I had Father consecrate it (made it a holy object) with a consecratory prayer found in our Greek (Byzantine) Catholic Eochologion. It was sealed with sacred chrism oil. The consecration endows the icon with healing graces. Father did not use a mere invocatory prayer that calls blessings, good feelings, and warm wished down on you, like those prayers in the Book of Blessing (B.O.B.). You may use the icon to pray for healing for anyone, but most especially your family.

4. Geminiano says:

Susan said: “…and I saw another modern day Priest who I knew to be representative of Saint Peter. He had his hand on the other Priests shoulder – the way a sponsor would for a confirmandi. He was weeping tremendously. Saint Joseph looked at this Priest and handed him his staff.”
    Susan, could you please answer these two questions.
    Which of these two priests was crying tremendously?
    Which of these two priests received the staff from Saint Joseph?
    P.S.
    I suspect it was the representative of Saint John who cried and received the staff of Saint Joseph, but I want to be sure.
    (Please be understanding for a foreigner.)

5. Geminiano says:

I just used your recommended saint patron generator, Susan. Here is the result: St. Ambrose (= Immortal), Archbishop of Milan in the capital founded by my favorite Saint Barnabas the Apostle.
    P.S.
    My (paternal) grandfather’s name was Gervase. Relics of St. Ambrose lie behind glass next to Saint Gervase. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose#/media/File:Sant'Ambrogio_Cript_in_Basilica_of_Sant'Ambrogio,_Milan.jpg

• Geminiano says:

I took a closer look at the decor of the tomb of Saints Ambrose and Gervase: Saint Gabriel the Archangel (in the center of the six angels) is depicted as a lictor.
        Wikipedia: “The lictor’s main task was to attend as bodyguards to magistrates who held imperium. They carried rods decorated with fasces and, outside the pomerium, with axes that symbolized the power to carry out capital punishment. Dictatorial lictors had axes even within the pomerium.”
        The decoration of this tomb is a visual representation of Ezekiel 9: 2! – “And, behold, six men came from the way of the higher gate, which lieth toward the north, and every man a slaughter weapon in his hand; and one man among them was clothed with linen, with a writer’s inkhorn by his side: and they went in, and stood beside the brasen altar.”
        Comments from ‘biblehub’ here: https://biblehub.com/commentaries/ezekiel/9-2.htm
        Who is the Dictator that Gabriel the Archangel announces in Milan over the tomb of Saints Ambrose and Gervase?
        P.S.
        Does St. Joseph in your vision on Dec. 31st had a shepherd’s staff or Jesse’s wand?

6. Pingback: 13 Days | Veil of Veronica